UpStanders to the Rescue!
Our UpStander program’s mission is to reduce bullying by helping to empower bystanders to become Upstanders. By facilitating friendships and closing the gap between those who are bullied and those that can help, together we can put an end to the cycle of intimidation and hurt.
This initiative creates and facilitates anti-bullying peer support within local schools by proactively teaching bystanders how to intervene on behalf of a victim when they witness a bullying event. These local, in-school support groups include other student leaders and administrators who will participate in pro-actively, collectively befriending and protecting these victims.
Friends protect friends!
It’s been shown that when someone intervenes for a friend who’s being bullied, bullying stops 60% of the time.
Join the cause!
- Empathy and Understanding: We strive to create a culture of empathy by encouraging individuals to actively listen and understand the experiences of others, including the perspective of the bully, in order to address the root causes of their behavior.
- Non-violent Communication: We promote the use of non-violent communication techniques to address conflict and bullying, fostering open and respectful dialogue that focuses on feelings, needs, and collaborative problem-solving.
- Peer Support and Intervention: We empower individuals to be upstanders, not bystanders, by providing them with the tools and guidance to safely and effectively intervene in instances of bullying, promoting a sense of community responsibility.
- Education and Awareness: We raise awareness about the negative impact of bullying and provide education on how to cultivate an inclusive environment that values diversity and respects differences, ultimately promoting a culture of kindness and acceptance.
- Restorative Practices: We advocate for restorative approaches that encourage personal growth, accountability, and healing for both the victim and the bully, working towards the transformation of negative behaviors and fostering healthier relationships within the community.